This is a simple baked chicken dish that can go with any cuisine. You can cut it up the next
day and mix it with different sauces, or toss it into a salad and you have an almost instant meal.
I love that there is no burned oil and dirty pans from pan-frying the chicken — just stick
it in the oven and forget about it. Make your pasta, garlic bread, or sit with guests while you wait.
Simple and delicious!
- 1 ½ lb chicken tenders (about 8)
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1–2 T milk or water
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs, or unseasoned breadcrumbs (I used 1 cup wheat and 1 cup white panko)
- dash of olive oil (optional)
- 4 slices (halved — 8 pieces) mozzarella or provolone cheese
- 1 jar (2 cups) homemade or low-sodium store bought tomato sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Prepare 3 bowls or plates, one with flour, one with egg and milk, and one with panko
- Place an oven-proof cookie rack on a baking sheet. If you don't have a cookie rack, line a
baking sheet with parchment paper, and turn chicken halfway through cooking.
- Pound the chicken on a cutting board with a mallet, or frying pan, gently, in between two
- Dredge the chicken in flour and shake off excess. Then, dunk into egg mixture, and then
into the breadcrumbs.
- Place onto the cookie rack and put a dash of olive oil on the chicken. Place in oven for
12-15 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear.
- Set cooked chicken aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Right before serving, turn oven up to “Hi Broil,” place chicken in baking dish with tomato
sauce and slices of mozzarella or provolone cheese and broil until cheese melts. This may
happen fast, don't leave!
- Serve with pasta and roasted vegetable medley for a quick meal.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets
OAAA Weight Management