- ½ wheat pita
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds*
- 1 baby eggplant
- 3 slices tomato or a few cherry or grape tomatoes
- ¼ onion, sliced
- ½ tablespoon feta**
- 1 pinch parsley
- 1 dash olive oil (optional)
*If you don't like whole cumin seeds, you can substitute paprika.
**For vegan, substitute ¼ avocado or hummus for the feta.
- Slice eggplant. Place on paper towel. Salt eggplant for 5 minutes to remove
bitterness. After 5 minutes, rinse briefly under cold water. Dry on paper towel.
- Heat a nonstick such as a George Foreman Grill or Panini machine. If you don't
have a grill, use a nonstick pan. Get grill HOT.
- Grill eggplant and sliced onions. Weigh down with grill press or large pot to
get nice grill marks. Grill for about 5-8 minutes or until eggplant is soft.
- Slice the pita in half, or pull apart to open it up. Reserve the other side for your
friend or for later use.
- Wet the pita for just a second under cold running water. Immediately sprinkle
1 teaspoon cumin seeds on open-face, soft side of the pita. Place the pita on
the grill, soft side up, and press cumin seeds into bread with grill press. Grill both
sides for a couple minutes turning a quarter of a rotation to get # marks on the
bread. Its only for good looks!
- For assembly, place about 3-4 slices eggplant, then tomato, feta, and torn
parsley on top. Put a dash ~1 teaspoon olive oil if desired for luscious look.
Additional information: appropriate for Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian, Vegan (if
substituted as recommended). For gluten free diet, substitute Gluten Free corn
tortilla for pita. You may further reduce fat and sodium content by using Low Sodium/Reduced
Fat Feta Cheese.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit