- ½ wheat pita
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds*
- 1 baby eggplant
- 3 slices tomato or a few cherry or grape tomatoes
- ¼ onion, sliced
- ½ tablespoon feta**
- 1 pinch parsley
- 1 dash olive oil (optional)
*If you don't like whole cumin seeds, you can substitute paprika.
**For vegan, substitute ¼ avocado or hummus for the feta.
- Slice eggplant. Place on paper towel. Salt eggplant for 5 minutes to remove
bitterness. After 5 minutes, rinse briefly under cold water. Dry on paper towel.
- Heat a nonstick such as a George Foreman Grill or Panini machine. If you don't
have a grill, use a nonstick pan. Get grill HOT.
- Grill eggplant and sliced onions. Weigh down with grill press or large pot to
get nice grill marks. Grill for about 5-8 minutes or until eggplant is soft.
- Slice the pita in half, or pull apart to open it up. Reserve the other side for your
friend or for later use.
- Wet the pita for just a second under cold running water. Immediately sprinkle
1 teaspoon cumin seeds on open-face, soft side of the pita. Place the pita on
the grill, soft side up, and press cumin seeds into bread with grill press. Grill both
sides for a couple minutes turning a quarter of a rotation to get # marks on the
bread. Its only for good looks!
- For assembly, place about 3-4 slices eggplant, then tomato, feta, and torn
parsley on top. Put a dash ~1 teaspoon olive oil if desired for luscious look.
Additional information: appropriate for Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian, Vegan (if
substituted as recommended). For gluten free diet, substitute Gluten Free corn
tortilla for pita. You may further reduce fat and sodium content by using Low Sodium/Reduced
Fat Feta Cheese.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets
OAAA Weight Management