It's pumpkin time! I was trying to find different ways to prepare sweet pumpkins,
and this idea came to me on a late Sunday morning. It serves as a good brunch
dish with the sweet granola and savory pumpkin. This is a simple recipe and you
can make it for breakfast or dessert.
- ½ of a medium pumpkin
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tablespoons low fat milk
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon flax
- Drizzle of maple syrup or honey (optional)
- few cranberries (optional)
- Preheat the over to 350° F. Wash and slice the pumpkin. Scrape out the seeds. You can reserve the seeds
to roast them later. Place one half of the pumpkin on a foil or parchment lined
baking sheet (for easy clean up).
- Mix all the remaining ingredients together in a bowl. Pour the mixture into the
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, turning about every 10 minutes, to keep it
crunchy. It’s ready when the pumpkin is fork tender and the granola is crispy. Cut
into quarters to serve. To eat, scoop out of pumpkin skin. Serve with a drizzle of
good maple syrup or honey.
- If you would like to add cranberries, I would microwave them for 1–1 ½ minutes
or until most of the cranberries burst. They will probably need a little sweetness.
Additional information: Appropriate for lacto-ovo vegetarian, low-sodium diets.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit