A true vegetarian's delight. This is a “meaty” dish in texture and flavor, that may even
trick you. The key is to prepare the marinade and let the Portobellos and other veggies
sit in this nice little bath of flavor. When they grill up, they produce some of the same
meaty flavors due to the Maillard reaction — the grill must be hot though, and not
overcrowded; to create the caramelization you want. So, what you are tasting is actually
meat flavor from a mushroom!
I added a few green beans and tomatoes for crunchy texture and vibrant colors. I also added
raw walnuts at the end and had an epiphany! Truly. The Portobello flavor paired with the raw
walnut was reminiscent of a truffle!! Yes, I said it, the expensive, highly-prized, perhaps
trafficked like drugs, fungi can be recreated with two simple ingredients. It had definitely
got the wheels turning in my head! It’s worth a taste, I hope you enjoy.
- 2 Portobello mushrooms, sliced thick
- ½ bunch fresh green beans
- handful baby tomatoes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup fresh basil, or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 2 whole wheat pita
- ¼ cup raw walnuts (optional)
- 1 slice provolone (optional)
- Combine marinade ingredients in a 13" x 9" pan. Add all the veggies and mix well coating
the veggies. Let marinade for at least 15 minutes, or up to 1 hour.
- Get a grill very hot, or preheat oven to 500° F. Place veggies on the grill, making sure
each Portobello is in good contact with the grill for appetizing grill marks. Grill for
about 3 minutes each side or until soft and tender. If baking, place pan you marinated
in directly into the oven for 15 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Assemble your dream pita sandwich! I grilled the pita in the grilling juices left in the pan
to get every morsel of flavor. The best part is, that you can dip the bread in any leftover
marinade because it doesn't contain any raw poultry, meat, or seafood!
Additional information: appropriate for Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian and Vegan diets.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit