This is a genius way to control your sweet tooth! It’s a dessert, but with great health benefits
as well. Oats, wheat germ, and cinnamon are all great for controlling blood sugar levels, so
you don't get a massive sugar rush from eating dessert. And its low fat! If you really enjoy
apples and cinnamon, then I hope you give this recipe a try.
This was my second time using wheat germ, a somewhat unfamiliar ingredient to me. It's a common
ingredient in wheat and nut veggie burgers. Wheat germ is a small part of a wheat kernel, the
same milled to make whole wheat or white flours. It’s great for you because it provides you
with high quality protein, B-complex vitamins, and trace minerals. So eat up this dessert!
For more info on the wheat kernel and great recipes, please visit
- ¾ cup old-fashioned oats
- 3 Tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 3 Tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup walnuts (optional)
- 7 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, sliced thick
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
*This dessert is best served warm. You may want to add a dollop of nonfat Greek
yogurt (sweetened with honey) or a low fat ice cream. Other options include adding
raisins and a little orange zest to the apple mixture for a flavor variation.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray cooking spray on a 13" X 9" or 11" X 7" baking dish.
(I would prefer 11" X 7" for the next time I bake, but I used a 13" X 9".)
- Toast the wheat germ briefly, about 3-5 minutes in oven or toaster oven. Be very
careful not to burn, the wheat germ can burn very easily. Stir or shake pan often.
- Combine all topping ingredients. Mix with your fingers (Using plastic gloves is
less messy) to work oil and butter well into the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine apple mixture ingredients. Toss to coat apples.
- Spray pan with cooking spray. Place apple mixture in the baking dish and spread
evenly. Then, place topping mixture over the apple mixture. Bake at 350°F for 30-35
minutes or until topping is golden and apples are bubbling.
Additional information: appropriate for Vegetarian and Vegan diet
(use margarine instead of butter)
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit