Spinach is a supreme superfood. It has a high level of antioxidants and other nutrients that
help fight various cancers and other diseases. The trick is not to overcook or do too much
to the spinach to retain the great benefits of this superfood. I decided to make a really green
soup to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. It's a simple soup prepared with a few ingredients
and frozen spinach. It becomes creamy with the addition of potato, and yet requires no cream.
With a few toasted pine nuts and a drizzle of olive oil, you will be enjoying this superfood
in all its glory!
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ½ onion, small chop
- 2 small garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 Russet potato, small chop
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 lb (16 oz) frozen spinach
- 1 cup water
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- ⅛ or less fresh nutmeg (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 3-4 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- chopped parsley (optional)
- In a medium pot, sauté the garlic and onion in 2 teaspoons vegetable oil for 2-3 minutes.
Then, add the potato and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups vegetable stock, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until
the potato is soft.
- Stir in the frozen spinach and warm soup to a simmer. Then, add 1 cup water and blend soup
in a blender or with an immersion blender. Return the pot to the stove and heat thoroughly. Add
salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Serve with toasted pine nuts, fresh chopped parsley, and a drizzle of olive oil as garnish.
Accompany with a side of toasted bread if desired, or homemade croutons.
Also appropriate for Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Free diets.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets