My least favorite thing to do at the airport: stripping down for airport security. One of
my favorite things to do: surf the magazine racks at the newsstand to find a good magazine
that catches my fancy. This time it was Food & Wine (March 2012) with the
catchy title “Healthiest New Ingredients” and a mouth-watering picture of gluten-free
pancakes smothered in raspberry and peach syrup (coming soon!).
I landed on this beet recipe partly because I wanted to recreate the beautiful picture,
and partly because the herbs conjured up memories of cooking days in Paris — tarragon,
chives, and shallots. Delicate and uncommon ingredients in America, but worth a try
and a culinary awakening!
I hope you enjoy eating your good-for-you colorful beets with this bright vinaigrette. Add
beets to your weight-loss diet! The antioxidants and low-calorie benefits are just a few of
- 2 bunches beets, one gold, one red (about 1.5 lbs)
- one 1-inch cinnamon stick
- ½ cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ large shallot, minced
- 2 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- zest of ½ orange
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons chopped unsalted roasted pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a 8" x 8" or 9" x 9" glass or roasting dish, place trimmed beets (leave skin on),
water, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf. Cover with foil tightly and bake for 1 hour or until very
tender. Then, set aside on baking pan to let cool. Discard the liquid and spices.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the white wine vinegar and minced shallot together
and let sit for 10 minutes. This tenderizes the shallot. Then add the orange zest, tarragon,
parsley, chives, salt, and olive oil and mix well with fork. Set aside.
- When the beets are cool to touch, peel and slice into 1/4" slices. Top beets with
herb mixture and chopped pistachio. Serve with goat cheese and garnish with more parsley
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets