There's no better way to highlight the spring harvest then a fresh salad. This one is full of carrots, asparagus, herbs,
lemon and farro, or wheat berry, to give it a little more body. Farro is a whole grain so it’s a great source of fiber
and complex carbohydrates. Serve this at your Easter brunch or lunch as a hearty, nutrient-dense side dish! The best
part is that it is tastiest when served cold and you can make it a day or two in advance.
This recipe includes the basic ingredients, but feel free to add more veggies like zucchini,
green peas, snap peas, green beans, mushrooms, green onions or other spring vegetables
- 1 cup raw farro*
- 5 cups water
- 2 carrots
- 1 small bunch asparagus, or 8 large asparagus
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ of onion
- ¼ cup halved cherry tomato
- 4 Tablespoons mint, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice + zest of 1 lemon
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 3 Tablespoons feta crumbles (optional)
*To save money, buy in bulk at your local health food store.
- Bring 5 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan, then add farro and salt. Bring back to a boil then simmer 30 minutes.
Let the farro sit for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain in a colander. Then, place farro in a salad bowl serving dish.
- Peel the tough ends of the asparagus and trim the stems. Using a mandolin or vegetable peel, peel ribbons and set aside.
Do the same for the carrots. Slice the onion thinly and place in cold water (to tone down onion-y flavor).
- In the same pot you used to cook farro, fill with water and bring to a boil. Have an ice bath or cold water bath on standby.
Blanch, or dunk asparagus in boiling water for 10-30 seconds, then place in ice bath. Repeat with carrots. Drain, then
add to farro in serving dish.
- To make the dressing, add the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and stir well. Pour dressing over the salad. Add chopped
mint, parsley, onions, tomato, pepper, and feta. Mix well. Serve at room temperature or as a cold salad.
Also appropriate for: Vegetarian, Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian, Vegan (do not use Feta).
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets
OAAA Weight Management