This recipe is a perfect one for warmer weather when lighter food seems just perfect. Fresh blueberries and lemon zest
in this cake call out spring and summer. Served with a dollop of vanilla yogurt, you get just the right amount of sweetness
and tartness. The recipe is fairly simple, but requires a few bowls.
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup wheat flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup low-fat milk*
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar*
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
At the end:
- 1 ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 2 Tablespoons turbinado sugar or brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon flour
Just for the topping (optional):
- ½ cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces vanilla low-fat yogurt
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
*You can substitute ½ cup low-fat buttermilk for these ingredients if you can find it in the supermarket
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 10-inch round spring-form pan with cooking spray. Cut out a piece of parchment paper
to fit the bottom of the pan. Fold it in quarters, then cut measuring from the center of the circle. Spray paper and sides of
spring-form pan. Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon flour on paper evenly.
- In Bowl 1, add flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to distribute ingredients
evenly. Set aside.
- In Bowl 2, add milk and vinegar and let sit 5 minutes. Then, add remaining ingredients. Set aside.
- In Bowl 3, (use biggest bowl) whisk sugar, butter, and oil by hand or with electric beaters for 5 minutes.
If butter is cold, microwave 15-20 seconds. Then, add the egg and egg whites. Whisk 1-2 minutes more. Set aside.
- Alternatively add flour mixture, then milk mixture, a little flour mix, then a little milk mix, etc. into the
egg mixture. Whisk briefly.
- Then, fold in 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries with a spatula. Be gentle. Then, spoon batter into the spring-form pan.
Level out as best you can. Immediately sprinkle 2 Tablespoons + ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg mixture over the batter evenly.
Place in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let cool 10 minutes
before opening ring on the pan.
- Meanwhile, while the cake is baking, combine the topping ingredients and store in the refrigerator,
- Serve cake warm or at room temperature with yogurt topping and additional fresh blueberries, or simply as is!
Additional information: appropriate for Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Free diet.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets