This recipe is a family and special friend’s favorite. It is what everyone always asks
for when they are at my house for breakfast or brunch. This is what I will make for my
mother on Mother’s Day. You can use any or a combination of fresh, frozen or canned
fruits mixed with a tiny amount of jam or jelly (sweetened or unsweetened). We fold it in
thirds with the outside edges overlapping in the center and sprinkle powdered sugar on
top and a dollop of whipped cream or topping.
This recipe makes one very large serving and can easily be divided in half. You can
also double, triple or quadruple it based on how many cast iron skillets you have. It
makes a lovely breakfast, brunch, luncheon or late night snack.
- ½ Tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup flour
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place butter or margarine in a 10-12 inch cast iron
skillet or a heavy baking dish. Place skillet in the oven and allow butter or margarine to
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and beat until smooth.
- When skillet is very hot and butter or margarine is melted, make sure the entire inside
of the skillet is greased. Pour in all of the batter and place in the oven.
- Cook until pancake is set and puffy, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Place pancake on plate. For Dutch Baby style, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve
with fresh lemon wedges. You can serve a side of applesauce, lingonberries or other
- Or use any fresh fruit or combination sweetened with melted jam or jelly if desired, place
on top of pancake and fold in opposite sides of pancake to form a roll (you may need to
use toothpicks to hold sides in place), sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Additional information: also appropriate for Lacto Ovo Vegetarian. For a gluten free
variation, substitute rice flour for the wheat flour.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets
OAAA Weight Management