- 2 cup long grain brown rice
- 4 ½ cup water
- 1 ½ cup sliced mushrooms, or a package
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 4 Tablespoons green onions, sliced
- cilantro (for garnish)
- In a medium pot, sauté the shallots and garlic for about 2 minutes in the oil.
- Then, add the sliced mushrooms and sauté for additional 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, water and salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Keep the lid closed for the entire cooking time. After 45 minutes, let the rice sit in the
hot pot for 10 minutes before opening.
- Garnish with green onions and cilantro and serve alongside the surf and turf.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets
OAAA Weight Management