With summer on its way, I'm sure many are thinking about how to shape up! Here is the perfect solution for you:
Vietnamese spring rolls! I love having these at my favorite Vietnamese Pho restaurant, so I thought I
should learn how to make them. They are so satisfying for the hot summer weather because of the cooling
cucumber, mint, and jicama combo packed in. You can also make them a day or two in advance, along with the
sauce and they make the perfect healthy snack to munch on for lunch or before dinner. Crunchy, fresh, and light for
the summer, you can't go wrong. If you want, you can substitute chicken, shrimp, or steak for the tofu, or just add
What is jicama? Pronounced [HEE-ka-ma] A large, bulbous root vegetable also called a Mexican potato or Mexican
turnip because of its similar starch content. It's a sweet and crunchy vegetable often used in
salads or slaws and often paired with cilantro, chili, lime, and cucumber. It is the perfect vegetable to eat in the
summer because it will hydrate and cool you, as well as provide you with a good source of fiber. To prepare the
root, do not use a peeler, the skin is too tough, instead, cut the skin away with a knife.
- 10 rice paper wrappers*
- 1 package medium-firm tofu, or 8-oz cooked shrimp
- ½ cup jicama, cut in matchsticks
- ½ cup carrots, cut in matchsticks
- ½ cup cucumber, cut in matchsticks
- 1 bunch mint
- 1 bunch Thai basil (or other variety)
- Lettuce leaves (optional)
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice or vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic chili sauce or Sriracha
- ½ teaspoon ginger, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped peanuts or cashews, unsalted (optional)
*Find these in the ethnic aisle of your grocery store, local Asian shop, or natural foods store.
- Make the sauce first by adding all the ingredients except the nuts into a small saucepan. Stir to dissolve sugar by
heating slightly. Then, take off heat and set aside.
- Making the spring rolls, chop up all the vegetables and set aside. Then, chop the tofu in ¼-½" inch rectangles
and set aside.
- In a large baking pan, pour a good amount of warm to hot water. Place one sheet of rice paper in for 10-30
seconds or until soft enough to bend. Then, place the rice paper sheet on a cutting board and stretch out as well as
- Place 2-3 basil leaves in the center and lettuce leaves (optional), then 3-4 tofu pieces, then a couple matchsticks
each of carrot, jicama, and cucumber, then 2-3 mint leaves on top. Keep 1-2 inches from the sides, for folding.
- Fold like a burrito, as tightly as you can, but delicately. The first ones may not be perfect, but you will get better!
Serve chilled with the sauce on the side. When ready to serve place the nuts in the sauce for
Vietnamese Fresh Rolls (rolls)
Vietnamese Fresh Rolls (sauce)
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets
OAAA Weight Management