There is a great satisfaction in making your own tomato sauce. Having little time and using jarred sauce for most of
my life, I can appreciate the fresh flavors and unique quality of a fresh tomato sauce. You control the salt, the garlic,
onions, and can add what ever veggies you like to make it creamier and more nutritious. Oh, and the wonders of an
immersion or regular stand-in blender! You can cut your vegetables imperfectly because you will blend it all later! I
hope you try this recipe not only for Kid-Friendly Lasagna but for Baked Chicken Parmesan, Homemade pizzas, or
even a Raw Veggie Dip.
Servings: about 5 cups
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic (or 1 teaspoon minced in jar)
- ¼ cup baby food carrot and sweet potato combined, or all of one
- 1 small zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 2 cans, 14-ounce peeled, diced tomatoes, no salt (or about 2 cups fresh, seeds and skin removed)
- 1 can, 6-oz tomato paste, no salt added
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In a large frying pan heat the olive oil and cook the onion on a medium heat until translucent, then add the garlic and
cook for a few seconds being careful not to burn.
- Then, add the remaining ingredients and simmer 15-20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- While still hot, using caution, blend the sauce in a blender, covering the top of the blender with a towel to avoid a
hot pressure explosion. Or use an immersion blender directly in the pan. Use caution, or wait for sauce to cool before
blending. Sauce is ready to use once blended. Use within a couple days if storing.
Additional information: appropriate for Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Free diets.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets
OAAA Weight Management