A simple and healthy pasta side to accompany any of your grilled dishes. Serve
with salmon, chicken, or grilled asparagus and mushrooms, and you're set for
your next party!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh basil
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh baby spinach
- 1 garlic, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 Tablespoon cashews, walnuts, or almonds
- 12 ounces whole wheat Bowtie (Farfalle) pasta
- ¼ cup reserved pasta water
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Prepare the pesto in advance if you have the chance. In a blender or with an
immersion blender combine first 7 ingredients. Blend until you get a smooth
sauce, store in refrigerator for later use.
- Boil water and cook pasta according to package directions. Undercook
the pasta a minute or two so you can cook with sauce. Drain pasta water and
reserve ¼ cup of the water.
- After draining the pasta, immediately add into a medium saucepan with the
pesto sauce and cook 2-3 minutes, adding reserved pasta water when sauce
dries out a bit.
- Add halved cherry tomatoes and additional cheese at the last minute of
cooking if desired. Serve immediately with salmon and grilled asparagus if you
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets
OAAA Weight Management