Kids have their favorite foods and sometimes you have to be creative to get them to improve their diets and eat healthier. This Grilled
Cheese sandwich recipe is not only well-liked by kids but provides good nutrition too! With the addition of butternut squash or carrot,
and using the trans fat free spread and reduced fat cheese, we transformed this traditionally greasy sandwich into a healthier option.
We hope you and your kids enjoy this lighter version!
Servings: 1 serving
- 4 tablespoons shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons butternut squash and/or carrot puree
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread
- ½ teaspoon trans fat free margarine spread
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes (optional)
- In a small bowl mix the squash or carrot puree with the cheese. Spread the mixture on one slice of whole wheat
bread and sandwich the two slices of bread together.
- Heat a nonstick cooking griddle with the ½ teaspoon of margarine. When the griddle is at a medium-low heat,
place the sandwich on it and cook on one side 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Spray the top of the sandwich with
cooking spray and flip. Cook another 4-5 minutes at medium-low heat, or until golden brown. Allow to cool
briefly and then cut in wedges. Serve with tomatoes, or side salad as the perfect “go with.”
Additional Information: Appropriate for Lacto-ovo Vegetarian diets.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit