Steel-cut oats top the list of healthiest breakfast foods. They’re minimally processed, nutrient rich, and they digest
more slowly than rolled oats so you don't feel you need to reach for the sugar or snacks at 10 am.
However, these oats take forever to cook a full 30 minutes, which is a problem especially on rushed weekday
mornings. I’d say, “forget it, that takes just too long for breakfast preparation.” However, you can prepare these oats
the night before in only two minutes, and just warm the oats up the next morning. They taste great, and I was happy
to find a way to get these oats back on my favorite breakfast list. I always feel energized in the morning and find
myself craving less throughout the day when I have this as my breakfast. It’s how I start the morning out right!
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- In a pot with a lid, bring 4 cups of water to a boil, then add 1 cup of oats, stir and bring back to a boil. Put the lid on,
remove from heat, and leave on the stove top overnight.
- In the morning, bring to a simmer for a couple of minutes until warm and tender. Simmer longer for thicker oatmeal.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. I added a few of my favorites below. Just top with a teaspoon of your favorite no-sugar
added jam if you're short on time. You can also add your favorite frozen or dried fruits into the pot while you warm
the oats, if everybody can agree on a flavor. Low-fat milk is a great addition too.
- 2-3 Tablespoons blueberries
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Fruit and Nuts:
- 1 Tablespoon sliced almonds
- 2 Tablespoons dried cranberries, raisins, apricots or other dried fruits (I used trail mix)
- ½ chopped apple
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon walnuts
- ...or check out this easy
Microwave-baked Apple idea that can be shared between bowls
Additional information: appropriate for Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian and Vegan diets.
Overnight Steel-Cut Oats
Fruit and Nuts Oats
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets