Cookies for breakfast?! Your kids won't believe it, and you don't have to feel guilty. Packed with wheat germ, whole grain
cereal, and low-fat ricotta, you can rest assured that you‘re feeding them something healthy that tastes like a treat!
Make them on Friday mornings as little treats for the last day of school, and reward them for a good week. You can even
toss in a few chocolate chips or dried fruit like raisins, cranberries, bananas, cherries, etc. to make them extra special!
Servings: Makes 16-18 cookies
- 2 cups whole grain cereal flakes (such as Wheaties, Total, or Shredded Wheat)
- ¾ cup Flour Blend (¼ cup wheat germ, ¼ cup whole wheat flour, ¼ cup all-purpose flour)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup tightly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- Cinnamon sugar for dusting
Recipe adapted from
The Sneaky Chefthis article, by Missy Chase Lapine
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with oil.
- Crush the cereal in a food processor or with a rolling pin in a plastic bag. Aim for coarse crushed flakes.
- In one bowl mix together the cereal, flour blend, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In another
bowl whisk together the egg, sugar, oil, vanilla, and ricotta cheese. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients,
then raisins if using, and mix just until combined. Drop single tablespoons onto the baking sheet leaving
about an inch in between cookies. Flatten the tops with a fork and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, or regular sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until nicely browned.
Additional information: appropriate for Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Free diet.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets