Sometimes, there is nothing more satisfying than a bowl of soup on a cold fall or winter night. It can be a healthy,
low-calorie option too! I would suggest making a big pot of soup on Sundays. It's a great way to use those leftover
vegetables you didn't get a chance to use during the week. Also, you can usually spend a little extra time at home
on Sundays to prepare hearty grains like barley and lentils. Enjoy your soup during the week for lunch or dinner
with a salad, a light piece of cornbread, or whole wheat toast for a complete meal. Packed with fat-free veggies,
you'll find this a healthy and hearty Sunday Soup recipe!
Servings: Serves 6-8
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 1-2 chopped celery stalks
- ¾ cup lentils
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth*
- 1 14 ½-oz can low-sodium diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 cups baby spinach
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary (optional)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- ¼-½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large pot with lid, heat 2 teaspoons of oil. When oil is hot, add garlic, celery, and onion. Sauté for 4-5 minutes
or until slightly golden in color. Then, add the lentils, barley, broth, tomatoes, and optional red pepper flakes,
rosemary, and oregano. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, add the thinly sliced carrots and cook another 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
Remember, they will continue cooking a little after you turn off the heat. Add the baby spinach while the soup is still hot.
- Let soup cool a bit in serving bowls to avoid burns. Add grated Parmesan to individual serving bowls just
Tip: You can add some protein like chicken breast, lean beef, or tofu to your soup. To cook chicken breast,
simmer in cold water for 10-15 minutes, then add whole or shredded chicken breast to individual bowls.
Additional information: appropriate for Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian diets; omit barley and substitute with rice for Gluten Free.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets
OAAA Weight Management