It's great to have a whole-grain alternative that is so quick to prepare, and that doesn't
come in a box. In just 5 minutes, you'll have a delicious side dish to accompany grilled fish,
chicken, or steak. With the addition of curry, sweet raisins, and cranberries, this dish
will warm you up on chilly fall nights with spice, while still offering a hint of sweetness.
Not only is it quick to prepare, but this side dish would be a great
addition to your table because of its whole grain benefits. Think about adding it to your holiday menu!
Learn about adding whole grains to your diet
Servings: Serves 4
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 Tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ¼ cup pine nuts or chopped almonds
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Then, add the couscous, reduce heat to simmer and cover
with lid for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes turn off heat, add raisins, cranberries, olive oil, and curry powder, stir in and cover.
After 1-2 minutes, uncover and fluff with fork.
- To serve, you can mix in greens or baby spinach to the couscous to make a couscous-salad, or serve alongside
your favorite grilled or baked entree. Feel free to add baby tomatoes, pomegranate seeds, roasted or steamed sweet
potatoes, squash, or other seasonal fall produce.
Additional information: appropriate for Vegetarian and Vegan diets.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit