Although it takes a little more time to prepare, this recipe is worth it! I had never tried spoon bread before,
but its silky texture is reminiscent of a soufflé or a quiche. Pair it with a flavorful entrée like
Jerk Chicken or BBQ beef and it is a happy side dish. Use it in place of cornbread and surprise your friends
with this light and unique treasure.
Servings: 6 servings
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, or scant 1 T
- ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion or scallions
- 1 cup white or yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Coat an 8-inch baking dish or soufflé dish with nonstick cooking spray
and set aside. Heat butter in small nonstick skillet and sauté scallions or onions until tender; about 5 minutes.
Use a high heat rubber spatula.
- In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt (if desired), and 1 cup milk; stir
until blended; set aside. In a small to medium saucepan, over medium heat scald 2 cups milk (heat just
until tiny bubbles form around edges of the pan). Stir cornmeal mixture into the heated milk and cook,
stirring occasionally until mixture resembles thick mush; about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Separate the eggs, placing the yolk in a medium sized bowl, and the egg whites in a clean deep bowl.
In the bowl with the egg yolk, beat egg yolk slightly with fork, and then stir in a little of the cooled
cornmeal mixture; mix well. Using your rubber spatula, scrape cooked onions or scallions into the egg yolk mixture.
- Beat the egg whites with a whisk (preferably with a handheld mixer) until stiff. Fold ⅓
of the whipped egg whites into the cornmeal mixture to lighten, then fold in the remaining egg whites
gently until evenly blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared dish. Bake until puffed and golden brown,
about 30 to 40 minutes. Spoon the spoon bread onto plates while hot to serve.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets
OAAA Weight Management