This recipe is one of my mom's favorites, which should speak for itself as to its flavor. It is an authentic
Mexican recipe that reminds my father of meals he ate while growing up. Traditionally, the soup is cooked in
an “olla” or clay pot that sits over a wood burning fire. My father claims the wood-burning fire adds another
dimension to the soup. Fortunately, you can make this recipe in a regular pot and it will still taste great and
authentic. With lean beef and plenty of vegetables, it's not only healthy, but very filling. It is the perfect meal
for a cold winter day. The best part is that it tastes better the next day and heats up well so you can make
it on Sunday to enjoy during the week, or make it the night before a party or other event and
simply heat it up when your guests arrive. If you serve smaller portions, pair it with cornbread or tortillas to
make a complete and hearty meal. I hope you enjoy this popular Barajas family recipe!
Servings: 8-12 servings
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 cups beef stock, divided as in directions
- ¼ cup snipped parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 14.5 ounce can chopped tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 medium onion, cut up
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 medium zucchini or summer squash, cut up (1 pound)
- 3 small red potatoes, quartered
- 2 ears fresh corn, cut in 1-inch pieces
- In large pot, brown pieces of meat in two batches. Then return meat to pot and add 1 ½ cups water, and
1 ½ cup beef stock, parsley, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- In a blender, place ½ cup beef broth, tomatoes (not drained), onion, sesame seeds, garlic cloves, red
pepper flakes, and cumin. Blend till smooth. Add to beef mixture along with squash, potatoes, and corn.
Cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until meat is tender and vegetables are done. Garnish with parsley.
- Can be made a day in advance and easily reheated before serving.
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets
OAAA Weight Management