Provence is a region in Southern France very close to my heart. Spending a summer in Nice, I was able to experience the mélange of French and Italian cuisine that is so unique to Provence. The sun-drenched lands create the flavorful citrus fruits and produce similar to Southern California. There are so many interesting elements of Provençal cuisine, but the single ingredient I fell in love with was Herbes de Provence. In this little sachet, the mix of the herbs (marjoram, rosemary, lavender, sage, fennel, basil, and thyme) will make food and home smell and taste a bit like Provence. A simple chicken recipe, with the addition of Herbes de Provence, makes an exquisite dish for summer.
Servings: Serves 4 entree, 8 appetizer or taster portions
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (ea 4 ounces raw)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- fresh thyme springs (optional)
- Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound to 1/2-inch thickness. Use a heavy pan or rolling pin if you don't have a mallet. Sprinkle chicken with pepper.
- Heat oil in large pan (nonstick preferred) over medium heat. Add chicken and cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken when done and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Immediately after removing chicken from pan, pour a couple tablespoons of chicken broth into the pan and stand back to avoid steam. Loosen up any brown bits with a spoon. Then add the garlic and stir around a few seconds. Finally, add all the chicken broth, chopped tomato, and herbs de Provence.
- Cook broth until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in margarine and lemon juice.
- Place chicken back into saucepan or serve chicken immediately with sauce. Garnish with sliced lemon and fresh thyme. Serve with roasted potatoes, roasted asparagus or green beans.
Additional information: Appropriate for Gluten-free diet.
Chicken Provençal, 4 servings
Chicken Provençal, 8 servings
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets
OAAA Weight Management