With a few simple ingredients, you can make this authentic and fragrant dish. The beans are quickly parboiled, or blanched, to retain their bright green color and nutrients. Then they are stir-fried with a little garlic and red pepper flakes for a minute or two, and finished with a Chinese touch, sesame oil. A good source of vitamins and fiber, these green beans make for an interesting perfectly healthy vegetable dish.
Servings: Serves 6 or 12 half-size
- 1 pound green beans, stems trimmed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼-½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Cut the beans into 2-inch pieces. Try to make them all the same size for a uniform cooking time. Bring a large pot ¾ full of water to a boil. Add the beans and cook until they turn bright green and are tender but still crisp, 1-3 minutes. Have a large bowl of ice water ready. When the beans are done, drain them, and plunge them into the ice water immediately to stop the cooking process. When the beans are cool, drain them again and set aside.
- In a large, nonstick pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the beans and sauté for 1 minute. Then, add the red pepper flakes and garlic and stir for another minute. The beans will be tender and bright green when done. Drizzle a little sesame oil and season with salt. Serve immediately. Serve alongside Salmon Bowl for best flavor complements.
Also Appropriate for Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten free diets.
Chinese Style Green Beans, 6 servings
Chinese Style Green Beans, 12 half-servings
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets
OAAA Weight Management