If you have a sweet tooth, and are trying to start that diet again, a dessert of poached fruit is a perfect choice.
With no added sugar or crusts, this simple dessert of poached pears is both light and tasty. The pears are poached
in an orange and apple juice mixture with spices until the pears are supple and tender. They retain their shape and make
for an elegant complement to any meal. Serve a spoon of low-fat Greek yogurt or a dollop of whipped cream on the side
for extra decadence. These pears taste great served warm or cold!
Servings: Serves 4 dessert size, 8 sample size
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks, 2" each broken in halves, or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 whole Bartlett or Bosc pears
- ½ cup fresh raspberries
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons orange zest
- ½ cup low-fat Greek yogurt or ¼ cup whipped cream
- In a pot big enough to hold the 4 pears, mix the juices, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to mix evenly.
- Peel the pears and leave the stems on. Remove the core from the bottom of the pear with the tip of the peeler or melon
ball scoop. Once peeled, place the pears directly into the juice mixture to prevent browning. Make a small cover for
the pears out of parchment paper. This helps prevent the pears from discoloring. Fold parchment into quarters and cut
on an arc to make a circle.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer and cover with the parchment paper. Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until very tender.
Turn the pears frequently. Be sure to not boil the liquid.
- Transfer the pears to individual serving plates. Optional garnishes are raspberries, orange zest, chocolate, or yogurt.
Or whip the cream and serve with dollop of whipped cream if desired.
Also appropriate for gluten free, lactose free, vegetarian and vegan (without yogurt or cream) diets.
Spiced Poached Pears, 6 servings
Spiced Poached Pears, 8 sample servings
For photographs and detailed instructions, please visit
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets
OAAA Weight Management