The Problem Solving Process
- Identify your problem area(s)
Ask yourself what people, places, events, thoughts, or feelings make it difficult to:
To help you answer these questions, you may need to complete a food and physical activity diary.
- control my eating?
- be active today?
- Select the problem(s) you wish to work on
You may discover only one problem area that you wish to address or you may have several. It is best to work on one or two
at most at one time. Select the ones you will work on and focus your energy on dealing with them.
- Collect Ideas
For the problem you've selected, identify some different ways to deal with it. The more ideas you identify, the easier it will be to find a solution that feels right for you. Some possible resources might include:
- Think of things that may have helped you deal with this challenge in the past.
- Ask your friends for ideas.
- Post a request for help on the Support Line asking for some additional ideas from other visitors to our website.
- Decide What You will do
Once you've identified several ways to deal with the problem, select the idea you think will realistically work for you and that
you are willing to do.
- Do it!
Use the idea you've selected to deal with your problem. If it does not work, try another. Sometimes it is a process of trial
and error to find the solution that is best for you.
- Evaluate Results
Once you've dealt with the problem, evaluate how satisfied you were with the results.
Were you able to control your eating?
- Were you able to follow through with your activity plans?
- Were you able to deal with the problem to your satisfaction? If not, what would you do differently next time?
Take Our Survey
We need your help! Periodically we conduct a survey of our visitors and use the results
to help guide our planning process for future programming. We really want to know what
you think, and your answers will help us improve the Shape Up America! organization. Please take
a few minutes to share your questions, thoughts and ideas. Your responses will be kept strictly
Donate to SUA
Please consider a donation to Shape Up America! Your tax-deductible contribution helps us develop new initiatives to
address the problem of obesity in America.
Shape Up Secrets
OAAA Weight Management